Splunk Search

How to create an alert to trigger if the value stored in a CSV file increases by 5?

manja054
Explorer

Saved search:

sourcetype=*    | timechart last(Cnt) as CurrentQueueLength span=5m | Where CurrentQueueLength>0 | table CurrentQueueLength | outputcsv ABC 

CSV:
CurrentQueueLength

If the value increases by 5 (Value to be taken from CSV file), I need to trigger an alert ( cond=CurrentQueueLength+5).

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I don't get your search: it could return more than 1 value or no values! You should probably do something like this:

earliest=-5m@m sourcetype=* | stats latest(Cnt) as CurrentQueueLength | outputcsv ABC

Then schedule the following search as an alert that triggers when "# events > 0" and runs 1 minute before the first one runs (just before the value is overwritten):

earliest=-5m@m sourcetype=* | stats latest(Cnt) as CurrentQueueLength | append [|inputcsv ABC | rename CurrentQueueLength AS PrevQueueLength] | eval delta = CurrentQueueLength - PrevQueueLength | where delta > 5

Also, you might consider using avg but definitely don't use last because it does the opposite of what you think it does (earliest value), which is why I switched it to latest.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...