Splunk Search

How do I make a line graph with my timechart search?

alanxu
Communicator

alt text

This is a table I created using the timechart command. Now, I am trying to make a line graph with this information with date on the x-axis and completion time for the y-axis. If I am able to solve that, I would love to add extra lines to the line graph.

<searchString>host=... source = ... Position="Finished" AND Report  | timechart latest(TIME) as Completion_Time</searchString>
<earliestTime>-168h</earliestTime>
<latestTime>$timetoken.latest$</latestTime>

This is inside my dashboard atm. I have a drop down for time at the top.

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

The Completion_Time field is string value and as far as I know, strings can't be plotted in Y-axis (you need numerical values). Workaround, you can convert your Completion_Time to decimal number like HH.MM and plot them.

View solution in original post

alanxu
Communicator

That is what I have right now... So I want to add a second line which also has SOMESTRINGTOLOOKFOR and get the exact same data.. The completion_Time

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

So your just want another line with same name as SOMESTRINGTOLOOKFOR and have same values as Completion_Time?

alanxu
Communicator

It will be a different string i would be looking for.. but yeah looking for completion time too.. When I was looking online they use a comma in time chart but im not sure how I could make it work

0 Karma

alanxu
Communicator

So I would want the exact same thing but the SOMESTRINGTOLOOKFOR has an unique completion time. So it would be nice to have both.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

If you want to keep your current results and add Completion_Time as another row for SOMESTRINGLOOKFOR, then try something like this

host=.. source =.. | eval NewTIME=if(match(_raw,".*SOMESTRINGTOLOOKFOR.*"),TIME,null())   | timechart latest(*TIME) as *Completion_Time | eval Completion_Time=tonumber(replace(Completion_Time,"(\d+):(\d+):(\d+)","\1.\2")) | eval NewCompletion_Time=tonumber(replace(NewCompletion_Time,"(\d+):(\d+):(\d+)","\1.\2"))

alanxu
Communicator

Ill try it out now. Wow I didnt know you would need to add taht much

0 Karma

alanxu
Communicator

OH! I see.. What was the command again? str..() lol.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend
| eval Completion_Time=tonumber(replace(Completion_Time,"(\d+):(\d+):(\d+)","\1.\2"))

alanxu
Communicator

Whats the 1 and 2 for?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

In replace, I'm clubbing your data in 3 parts (values inside the brackets), and replacing 3 parts named 1,2,3 from current format of 1:2:3 to 1.2

alanxu
Communicator

Would you know how to add a second line?

host=.. source =.. SOMESTRINGTOLOOKFOR   | timechart latest(TIME) as Completion_Time | eval Completion_Time=tonumber(replace(Completion_Time,"(\d+):(\d+):(\d+)","\1.\2"))
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...