Splunk Search

Help with Sub Searches

rmcdougal
Path Finder

I am attempting to search our networking logs based off the snort alert logs but I can't figure out how to perform the sub search correctly. This is what I have so far:

sourcetype=snort | eval snort_src=src_ip | eval snort_dest=dest_ip [search sourcetype=cisco_asa dest_ip=snort_destip | table NAT_Address] | table snort_src, snort_dest, NAT_Address

So basically this is what I want to accomplish

1. Return all Snort alerts
  2. Rename the Snort src_ip field to snort_src (this is because the same field exists in the cisco logs)
  3. Rename the Snort dest_ip field to Snort_dest
  4. Search the Cisco logs for matches based on the snort dest_ip
  5. Return NAT Address field
  6. Table Snort_src, Snort_dest, NAT_Address
Tags (1)
0 Karma

bmacias84
Champion

Hello @rmcdougal, I am assuming your field extraction exists for all fields for your sources. Also I think you need do some reading on search operations and sub searches. Here is how I might approach the problem, keep in mind I dont have the same data that you are using.

I also assume dest_ip exists in both sourcetypes. You may have to do work with time.

sourcetype=snort OR sourcetype=cisco_asa | selfjoin dest_ip | table src_ip, dest_ip, NAT_Address

or

sourcetype=snort | fields _time,src_ip, dest_ip| join dest_ip [search sourcetype=cisco_asa | fields _time,dest_ip, NAT_Address ]

or

sourcetype=snort OR sourcetype=cisco_asa | transaction dest_ip maxspan=5s | fields src_ip, dest_ip, NAT_Address

Consider reading Exploring Splunk Se4arch Processing Language (SPL)

I hope you this helps or gets you started. dont forget to accept or vote up answers. Cheers.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...