Splunk Search

Extracting selected hosts with regex / Regex hosts with exceptions

lemikg
Communicator

Hi Splunkers,

I am trying to extract the hosts via regex.

host="*" | regex host="([a-zA-Z0-9]([a-zA-Z0-9\-]{0,61}[a-zA-Z0-9])?\.)+[a-zA-Z]{2,6}" | dedup host | table host | sort -host

The problem is that some hosts have a name and some of them come with the full domain name.

For example:

host
xd-test-app05.abc-xz.com
xd-test-app04.abc-xz.com
xd-test-app03
xd-test-app03.abc-xz.com
xd-test-app02
xd-test-app02.abc-xz.com
xd-test-app01.abc-xz.com
xd-shared-db01.abc-xz.com
xd-qa-app08.abc-xz.com

Is there a way to add an exception to my regex?

Thanks in advance for your help.

regards
Mike

1 Solution

jonuwz
Influencer

If they're all from the same domain

host="*" | rex field=host "^(?<host>[^.]+)" | dedup host | table host | sort -host

View solution in original post

jonuwz
Influencer

If they're all from the same domain

host="*" | rex field=host "^(?<host>[^.]+)" | dedup host | table host | sort -host

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

A lot of the expression was lost in the formatting, now (amongst other things) the period is escaped properly.

0 Karma

lemikg
Communicator

Hi, I can't answer the question regarding The "." in my capture group since I just copied that from an example. St this point I can't provide Any sourcedata since i am not in The office any more. But The source is nothing special Art all.

0 Karma

mikelanghorst
Motivator

What does the source data look like, are they all fqdn's? Why do you have . in your capture group, as that should match any character.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...

Get ready to show some Splunk Certification swagger at .conf24!

Dive into the deep end of data by earning a Splunk Certification at .conf24. We're enticing you again this ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Now On-Demand Join us to learn more about how you can leverage Service Level Objectives (SLOs) and the new ...