Splunk Search

Duration with just days (2)

Oisin77
Explorer
source="J:\\B6 Files\\Web Logs\\Vegas\\access_logs\\star.log" INFO star | rex field=_raw "INFO  (?<report>star)  - (?<username>.*) \| (?<month>[A-Za-z]+) (?<day>[0-9]+) (?<year>20[0-9]{2}) (?<time>.*) \| [A-Z]+ \| D \[RANGE\] (?<date1>[0-9]{8})-(?<date2>[0-9]{8})" | search username!="planitas" username!="antonio_rigon" | eval d1=strptime(date1, "%Y%m%d") | eval d2=strptime(date2, "%Y%m%d") |  eval d3=(d2-d1) | eval "diff_days"=tostring(d3,"duration") | rex field="diff_days" "(?<durationdays>^\d+)\+" | stats count(report) by diff_days

So even though I have it in the code, in statistics its not just the days are shown like its supposed to be, it has the + thing with hours, minutes, seconds, etc. Why is this?

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Why don't you just divide the difference of dates with 86400 (equivalent to 1 day in sec).

source="J:\\B6 Files\\Web Logs\\Vegas\\access_logs\\star.log" INFO star | rex field=_raw "INFO  (?<report>star)  - (?<username>.*) \| (?<month>[A-Za-z]+) (?<day>[0-9]+) (?<year>20[0-9]{2}) (?<time>.*) \| [A-Z]+ \| D \[RANGE\] (?<date1>[0-9]{8})-(?<date2>[0-9]{8})" | search username!="planitas" username!="antonio_rigon" | eval d1=strptime(date1, "%Y%m%d") | eval d2=strptime(date2, "%Y%m%d") | eval diff_days=(d2-d1)/86400 | stats count(report) by diff_days

View solution in original post

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Why don't you just divide the difference of dates with 86400 (equivalent to 1 day in sec).

source="J:\\B6 Files\\Web Logs\\Vegas\\access_logs\\star.log" INFO star | rex field=_raw "INFO  (?<report>star)  - (?<username>.*) \| (?<month>[A-Za-z]+) (?<day>[0-9]+) (?<year>20[0-9]{2}) (?<time>.*) \| [A-Z]+ \| D \[RANGE\] (?<date1>[0-9]{8})-(?<date2>[0-9]{8})" | search username!="planitas" username!="antonio_rigon" | eval d1=strptime(date1, "%Y%m%d") | eval d2=strptime(date2, "%Y%m%d") | eval diff_days=(d2-d1)/86400 | stats count(report) by diff_days

Oisin77
Explorer

Great, thanks a lot.

0 Karma

aholzer
Motivator

You are using "diff_days" in your stats call rather than the "durationdays". Try this instead:

... | stats count(report) by durationdays

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...