Splunk Search

Dedup lost data, a bug?

april_tao

For below search :

eventtype=MYTYPE [search eventtype=MYTYPE | sort 0 _time desc | dedup fieldX | return 1000 source]

Expect to return the latest source for 1 fieldX value.

In our data, we have over 10,000,000 events for the latest source with fieldX=A, fieldX=B, fieldX=C respectively.
Thus expect the search returns over 30,000,000 results.
However, it returns the results for fieldX=A only.

Question : is the search correctly written? If yes, is this a bug of dedup? Is there any limitation of dedup about the result size? If we use a smaller dataset, dedup works properly with the same search.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

The problem is that the subsearch has a limit - and I don't see that you need the subsearch at all. You also do not need the sort, Splunk returns events in reverse time order (newest first) by default.Try this

eventtype=MYTYPE | dedup fieldX

This will return the most recent event for each value of fieldX.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...