Splunk Search

Concatenate fields into string on form

timmy13
Communicator

I want a form that will allow a user to "build" the appropriate "source" (or log file name) based on selecting various pieces of data.

So the fields will be like this:

Date
Application
Server

I want to then build a string to use in the search.

Trying to use eval but getting now where....

sourcetype=MySourceType | eval sourcelog=Date."-".Application."-".Server.".log" |search source=sourcelog

This always returns 0 results. If I leave out the search function, the sourcelog field is populated.

Once I can get this search to work, I can use it in the populatingsearch function of the form.

Ideas?

hazekamp
Builder

When comparing two fields you want to use the where command instead:

sourcetype=MySourceType | eval sourcelog=Date."-".Application."-".Server.".log" | where source=sourcelog

timmy13
Communicator

Great hazekamp, thanks for the help. That works, but I still have a problem.

Of course, when defining source=, I can use wild cards. However, when I place wildcards into sourcelog, and then use the where source=sourcelog command, it fails. seems the where doesn't like wildcards.

Ideas?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...