Splunk Search

Charting results from top, and doing drilldowns?

jharris1111
Engager

I have a few searches / dashboards which give me basically what I want, mostly things like "top 5 alerts" reports from a network activity log. They work great in the Search view, showing the alert types, number/count of hits, and percentage in a table.

But, when I graph that on the dashboard, it doesn't behave as I would expect. The bar chart shows the alert types as bars. I expected the legend to show the severity types/values (High/Med/Low), but instead it shows "count".

When I click on the bar for "High", the drilldown I expected was "alert=high", instead it's "count=813" -- and there is no "count" field in my logs, so that fails.

I'm sure this is a common scenario for others, can anyone point me to an example search/dash that works as expected?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

davecroto
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

alt textThe mouse over gives me the alert status

alt text

0 Karma

davecroto
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee
0 Karma

jharris1111
Engager

Thanks, Dave. That is working better for me.
Initially, I was doing " | top 3 alert"

With your " | count by alert" it now works better. The drill-down now does the right thing, e.g. "alert=high".

The remaining oddity is that the chart is still a single color for all bars, and the legend has only "count". The legend is not really important, but I was trying to map the bars to their appropriate color by something like:

["high","med","low"]
[0xFF0000,0xFFFF00,0x00FF00]

0 Karma

davecroto
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Does it look something like this?

|chart count by alert

davecroto
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Need to see your search to what your splitting "by"

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...