Splunk Search

Calculating duration from a number

whipstash
Engager

I am trying to find the duration for a time span. The "in" and "out" numbers are included in the data as type: number. I attempted:

in = 20240401183030

out = 20240401193030

| convert mktime(in) AS IN
| convert mktime(out) AS OUT
| eval Duration =OUT - IN

I have not been able to find a function that would directly convert number to time or if there is some multifunctional way to get the right duration between the two,

But this does not perform the correct time math. 

Labels (1)
0 Karma

whipstash
Engager

Thanks ITWhisperer! I did try the string conversion, but it did not work. This looks like it did the trick!

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The "convert mktime()" could also be the way to go but you need to specify the time format with... the "timeformat=" option. Otherwise Splunk has to guess and usually guesses wrong.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| eval IN = strptime(in, "%Y%m%d%H%M%S")
| eval OUT = strptime(out, "%Y%m%d%H%M%S")
| eval Duration = tostring(OUT - IN,"duration")
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get ready to show some Splunk Certification swagger at .conf24!

Dive into the deep end of data by earning a Splunk Certification at .conf24. We're enticing you again this ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Now On-Demand Join us to learn more about how you can leverage Service Level Objectives (SLOs) and the new ...

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...