Splunk Enterprise

How to delete modular input?

sacumen
Explorer

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to delete my modular input and the input inside configuration tab -->Account, trying to add new account but not able to delete that getting error message like "Object id=xxx://Test cannot be deleted in config=inputs in splunk ".

Can anyone please let me know ho to delete that?

Thank You.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hiya - I just ran into this in another app and I think I found root cause. It seemed like a permission thing so on a hunch I peeked at the local.meta and default.meta. The default.meta for the app had a bunch of stuff in there from the app being built. I removed all of it except the default and view stanzas, restarted, and then I was able to delete the input no problem. So I'm guessing there was some default.meta stanza made by a user not in my system that blocked my ability from deleting.

If you got the app from Splunkbase then let the author know so they can clean out that default.meta.

sacumen
Explorer

Thanks for response @richgalloway . No files are open there and I am only testing this on my machine.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Check splunkd.log for other messages that may have identify the cause.
An alternative method is to edit inputs.conf directly and restart Splunk.
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Make sure the relevant inputs.conf file is not open by a non-Splunk process, like an editor.  Also, verify no one else deleted or moved the MI.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Observability | Use Synthetic Monitoring for Website Metadata Verification

If you are on Splunk Observability Cloud, you may already have Synthetic Monitoringin your observability ...

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...