Splunk Cloud Platform

Splunk Archive storage bandwidth limitations?

beaunewcomb
Communicator

Hello,

Are data transfer costs built into the cost model for Splunk Archive?   Customer is concerned about surprises (in the form of a bill, or data caps) associated with freezing their data into the Splunk managed archive solution

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

beaunewcomb
Communicator

Hey Rick, thanks for responding!

I saw that page, but unfortunately it doesn't specifically mention costs or data transfer limitations...  say they're restoring data daily (edge case I know), but do they only EVER pay for the 500GB block or will they be surprised by transfer costs if they utilize the feature too much?

*MY* answer is "data transfer costs are likely built into the cost model"  but they want a specific answer.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you want a 100% confirmation, you should simply read the terms of service but my understanding is that there is no additional cost for archiving/restoring but there are limits to the amount of data you can restore at any given point in time. I'm not sure - and that is something you'd need to ask your Splunk representative - if there is any possibility (and if so, how costly) to restore the archived data should you need more than the mentioned 10% at one time.

To be honest, I don't understand what kind of transfer fee you'd want to pay if it's all managed by Splunk and the traffic is "internal" to the Splunk Cloud infrastructure (even if it's spread across different cloud provider's environments - it's transparent to you completely).

So maybe we're mixing two different things here.

If your customer gets DDAA - customer pays for the archive solution and it's managed wholly by Splunk and is restorable by submitting a request through Cloud interface.

If your customer gets DDSS - customer needs to provide own storage for which the customer must pay separately (storage and transfer fees if applicable) and in case of a need to restore - the data must be retrieved to a local on-site installation of Splunk Enterprise - it's not restorable to the Cloud instance.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...