Security

Question about SVD-2023-0805

intgmt
Engager

I have a question about security advisory SVD-2023-0805. It states only Splunk Web is affected, but the description clearly mentions the issue is caused by how OpenSSL is built, which is a very generic library. For this reason I would like to check if indeed only Splunk Web is affected, or that Splunk installations on Windows in general are affected.

I can imagine that OpenSSL is also used when a SSL/TLS connection is made from a forwarder to an indexer. This leads to the question: are universal forwarders on Windows also affected by this security advisory, even when Splunk Web is disabled?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't understand it, either, but Splunk engineering has confirmed only Splunk Web is affected.  That would exclude all Universal Forwarders.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...

Get ready to show some Splunk Certification swagger at .conf24!

Dive into the deep end of data by earning a Splunk Certification at .conf24. We're enticing you again this ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Now On-Demand Join us to learn more about how you can leverage Service Level Objectives (SLOs) and the new ...