Other Usage

Calling Splunk API to run a query and generate a report 3 hours after it is called?

Siri9996
Engager

Hi All,

There is a requirement where a temporary cluster has to trigger Splunk API to run a command and generate a report. This cluster will have to trigger Splunk API right before it gets terminated. However, the Splunk API after called should only run 3 hours after its triggered and once the report is generated, the report should be sent via email and the process should be ended(Only once and not recurring every 3 hours). 

This is because there is one log as part of that command which gets pushed 3 hours after the temporary cluster is terminated.(The data is not real-time). 

I only have this option to automate because the call should be made by a cluster which is ready for termination only. 

So how can I schedule a search to run  3 hours after its triggered to generate an report as an email? 
Please let me know if there are any better options to achieve this.

Much awaiting for the suggestions. Thanks in Advance. 

Labels (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If I understand you correctly, you want to make splunk wait 3 hours before executing some search.

Natively Splunk doesn't have a "delay" functionality.

You could try to "emulate" a counter by setting a value in a lookup and decrement it with a scheduled search and have an "optional execution" search implemented in another scheduled search.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...