Knowledge Management

significant clock differences

dmlee
Communicator

I saw this error message when I tried to login splunk web , the whole message is Login will fail due to significant clock differences between the server and this machine

I check both machine's system time , there is only a few differences between them (seconds).

any idea about this ? thanks

Tags (1)
0 Karma

carmackd
Communicator

Check the login.html file in $SPLUNK_HOME/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/templates/account/ and make sure it is current with the Splunk version you're running. I had the same problem and saw differences between the login.html page that was in that directory and the one that was supposed to install during my upgrade to 4.3.1.

Old login.html page contain the following, while the latest did not:

#some code here#
var s = $.cookie('${cherrypy.config['tools.sessions.name']}');
#some code here#
else if (!s) {
        $('.error').hide();
        $('#jserror').text(_('Login will fail due to a significant clock differences between the server and this machine')).show();
    }

After updating the file with the latest, the error message went away.

troywollenslege
Path Finder

We are getting the same problem with one of our servers. Running Splunk 4.3.1 build 119532.
Both servers have NTP enabled and are within 2-3 seconds of the client. (within about 2 seconds of each other). One server works fine, one server gives this error.

Login will fail due to a significant clock differences between the server and this machine

0 Karma

MHibbin
Influencer

Any chance of using NTP?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...