Installation

Capabilities needed to Add Search Head to Cluster

amat
Explorer

I am trying to create a new process to have a service (non-admin) account adding new Search Heads into a cluster. Specifically, need enough capabilities to to have the service account initialize and add a search head to a cluster. I want to avoid giving "admin-all-objects" as its too much privilege and want to adhere to least-priv policy.

I created a new local account and added it to the deployer, SH cluster, and the new SH. I then added capabilities related to SH clustering so that i can have this service account initialize and add SH to a cluster. However, i am getting errors related to permissions.

Capabilities added:

edit_restmap
edit_search_head_clustering
edit_search_server
edit_server
list_search_head_clustering
rest_apps_management
rest_apps_view
rest_properties_get
rest_properties_set
restart_splunkd

Error when trying to initialize SH: 

/opt/splunk/bin/splunk init shcluster-config  <CLUSTER INFO>> 

User 'shcluster_config' with roles { shcluster_config, user-shcluster_config } cannot write: /nobody/system/server { read : [ * ], write : [ admin ] }, removable: no

Anybody know what capability i need to give this service account enough access to add new SHs to a cluster?

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The answer is in the error message.

write : [ admin ]

means only an admin can write to that service.  In this case, admin is least-priv.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

amat
Explorer

Is there anyway we can add another role to have write to that service?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm pretty sure admin means admin.  You can try setting individual capabilities in a custom role until you hit upon the right combination if you want, though.

---
0 Karma

amat
Explorer

yes that makes sense. But do you know if its possible if we can change the write permission so it can include another role ?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That I don't know.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...