Getting Data In

Wildcards in source name in inputs.conf

jpashak
Explorer

We are monitoring log files that rotate multiple times daily.  We have wildcards specified in the monitor command, but do not in the source command.  Our issue arises when the software that generates the logs is updated and we have to update the paths in our inputs.conf.

Here is a sample stanza:

[monitor:///apps/psprdcs/pt8.58/config/sprdcs/appserv/SPRDCS/LOGS/APPSRV_*]
index=peoplesoft
sourcetype=peoplesoft_appsrv
source=/apps/psprdcs/pt8.58/config/sprdcs/appserv/SPRDCS/LOGS/APPSRV.LOG

What we would like to do is something along these lines so version changes don't require Splunk changes:

[monitor:///apps/psprd*/.../APPSRV_*]
index=peoplesoft
sourcetype=peoplesoft_appsrv
source=/apps/psprd*/.../APPSRV.LOG

I have notes from my predecessor that we can't do that because you cannot specify a wildcard on the source line.  We want the full pathname for the source.

Is this limitation still in effect or can it be done?

Thanks In Advance!

Jeff

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Leave out the source specifier.  Splunk will get the source value from the file it reads.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

jpashak
Explorer

I understand that.  In our case, we want the source to not contain the changing value in the filename, to give the appearance the source is the same for all of these. 

Example:

The file name is /apps/psprdcs/pt8.58/config/sprdcs/appserv/SPRDCS/LOGS/APPSRV_0908.LOG

We want the source to be

/apps/psprdcs/pt8.58/config/sprdcs/appserv/SPRDCS/LOGS/APPSRV.LOG

not /apps/psprdcs/pt8.58/config/sprdcs/appserv/SPRDCS/LOGS/APPSRV_0908.LOG

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...