Getting Data In

Why is date not parsing correctly on my search head cluster?

pfabrizi
Path Finder

I have 2 splunk environments a DEV and PROD. I am send events from same syslog source. I have this date parsing:

TIME_PREFIX=severity\=\d+\|
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD=22
TIME_FORMAT=%Y-%b-%d %H:%M:%S
TZ = UTC

Here is the event string:
Aug 29 11:08:30 tnnwsau1 CEF:1|RSA|Netwitness|10.6|severity=2|2018-Aug-29 15:05:07|Executables

in DEV it is parsing correct ( 2018-aug-29 15:05:07) however in PROD is the Aug 29 11:08:30.

My DEV is REHL 6, Prod is RHEL 7.
Is there some global setting that might be an issue?

Our dev is a single search head, where prod is a clustered SH?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

0 Karma

serjandrosov
Path Finder

You might need to check configuration consistence for both environments for sourcetype stanza (are you using [syslog] as sourcetype for this data?).
Run on both PROD and DEV indexers:

$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk cmd btool props list --debug

Look at the differences and sources.

0 Karma

pfabrizi
Path Finder

yeah, I did that.

0 Karma

poete
Builder

Hello @pfabrizi,

did you check the global settings of the server, and more especially the timezone?

In addition, did you check the timezone of the user you are running the tests with?

I hope this helps

0 Karma

pfabrizi
Path Finder

I am guessing this is the issue?
Prod
ZONE="America/New_York"

DEV:
ZONE=US/Eastern
UTC=true

Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...