Getting Data In

Why are Windows event logs getting joined when setting the source to WinEventLog:xxxxxxx?

Dean_Box
Engager

Hello,

All our Windows Application, Security & System logs are being forwarded to a central syslog-ng server (1 line per event).  

On the syslog server we have the Splunk Heavy Forwarded installed and I have been forwarding the logs on to Splunk Indexer.

I'm trying to use the Windows TA Add-on and it requires the sourcetype to be WinEventLog and the source to be one of WinEventLog:Application, WinEventLog:Security or WinEventLog:System.

So in the inputs.conf on the heavy forwarder I added the lines to each input;

[monitor:///app/syslog-ng/logs/production-logs/siem_win_sec_log]
sourcetype=WinEventLog
source=WinEventLog:Security
_TCP_ROUTING = SIEMIndexer

[monitor:///app/syslog-ng/logs/production-logs/siem_win_app_log]
sourcetype=WinEventLog
source=WinEventLog:Application

[monitor:///app/syslog-ng/logs/production-logs/siem_win_sys_log]
sourcetype=WinEventLog
source=WinEventLog:System

Now when I search in the search head I am seeing that 2 or 3 or 4 log entries are being grouped as 1 big entry.  I played around with the source/sourcetype fields and found that the problem is only there when the source starts with WinEventLog.

I found the [source::WinEventLog...] in props.conf and tried commenting it out partially or completely and it did not make any difference.  This was on the indexer and heavy forwarded in the /etc/system/local/props.conf.

Is there anyway to get Windows Event Logs in syslog format in to Splunk in a way that the Windows TA Addon will recognize?  The will eventually be feeding in to Security Essentials.

Thank you,

Dean

Labels (4)

opoplawski
Explorer

I think I'm seeing essentially the same thing, though from a different route - I'm getting JSON data from NXLog and sending it to a tcp input.  Works fine until I set "source=WinEventLog:System" at which point I get multiple lines of json text as a single event.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...