Getting Data In

What is the syntax to configure DELIMS= in transforms.conf for line breaking?

hagjos43
Contributor

I'm ingesting a custom sourcetype (output from a powershell script). Within the transforms.conf, how do I set the DELIMS=linebreak? I see that it can be done, but I cannot find the syntax to do so. Essentially I'm asking what is the value I need to place after the DELIMS= to accomplish this?

Many thanks!

0 Karma

alanden_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I know this is an old question, but the audience should be asking whether the purpose is to extract fields with a transforms DELIMS configuration, or to separate each line to a separate event as the LINE_BREAKER =([ \r\n ]+) setting in the answer below suggests.

0 Karma

stephane_cyrill
Builder

Hi here is an example of usage:

props.conf:

[your_data_sourcetype ]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
LINE_BREAKER =([ \r\n ]+)
REPORT - delims= commalist

transforms.conf:

[commalist ]
DELIMS = ","
FIELDS = field1 , field2 , field3 ,

you can also use in your props.conf options like:

LINE_BREAKER =..... 
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false 
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE = .....
MUST_BREAK_AFTER = .....
FIELD_DELIMITER =...

alanden_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

this separates lines into events, which may not be what is being asked, since DELIMS is used to do field extractions in transforms.conf.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...