Getting Data In

Normalizing imported .evtx files with Splunk Windows Add-on

Erad

Greetings all,

I'm in a situation where I would like do "offline" Windows event logs analysis, and I need to be able to ingest raw evtx files.

Here is my setup:

I'm ingesting the files I need with a "monitor" stanza in the Windows app's inputs.conf:

[monitor://C:\imported_data\evtx]
disabled = 0
sourcetype = preprocess-winevt
crcSalt = <SOURCE>
index = imported-evtx

Now, the logs are ingested and parsed and it's already a start (I get proper sourcetypes and everything). However, they do not go through the Windows' app normalizing process, e.g. events don't get populated with the "EventID" field, user names are not parsed into SubjectUserName and TargetUserName fields, things like that.

Is there a way of making those imported logs properly handled by the TA?

Note: if I try and ingest my local VM's logs with a [WinEventLog://Security] stanza, they are successfully normalized by the app.

Cheers,

Erad

Labels (1)
0 Karma

human96
Communicator

Windows Event Log (.evt) and Windows Event Log XML (.evtx) files that you exported from another Windows machine don't work.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.5/Data/Uploaddata

the better way would be-
1. convert your evtx files to csv

using logparser ( by Microsoft )

$logparser = "c:\program files (x86)\Log Parser 2.2\logparser.exe"
$query = "SELECT * INTO c:\logs\logs.csv FROM c:\logs\logs.evtx"

& $logparser -i:evt -o:csv $query

2. forward those converted csv file directly to splunk.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...