Getting Data In

How to modify sourcetype and host based off of the new sourcetype

nateloepker
Explorer

Hello,

I'm attempting to change the sourcetype and host on a single event. The tricky part is I want the second transform based on the change from the first transform

For Example,

My data comes in as

index=main

host=heavy_forwarder

sourcetype=aws:logbucket

I want the data to change to

index=main

host=amazonfsx.host

sourcetype=XmlWinEventLog

The catch is that I have other sourcetypes coming in as aws:logbucket and getting transformed to various other sourcetypes (cloudtrail, config, etc). On these events I do not want to run the regex to change the host value

If I have a props.conf file that states

TRANSFORMS-modify_data = aws_fsx_sourcetype, aws_fsx_host

And a transforms.conf of

[aws_fsx_sourcetype]
SOURCE_KEY = MetaData:Source
REGEX = ^source::s3:\/\/fsxbucket\/.*
FORMAT = sourcetype::XmlWinEventLog
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Sourcetype

[aws_fsx_host]
REGEX = <Computer>([^.<]+).*?<\/Computer>
FORMAT = host::$1
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Host

I'm worried this will have unexpected results on the other sourcetypes that aws:logucket has, like cloudtrail and config.

If I break it out with two separate transforms, like this

TRANSFORMS-modify_data = aws_fsx_sourcetype

TRANSFORMS-modify_data2 = aws_fsx_host

I'm worried the typing pipeline won't see the second transform.

What is the most effective way to accomplish this?

Thanks,
Nate

Labels (4)
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Altering host field is one of least desirable alterations but it has to be done from time to time.  In your case, you probably have to use a calculated field.

nateloepker
Explorer

I'm going to try that. I'm seeing now the Windows App has a default transformation called "WinEventXmlHostOverride" that will override the host with the "Computer" Xml value. Do you see any negative from doing this at search-time rather than index-time?

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Calculated field and transforms are also search time.  The general advice is to be very careful in making index time calculations. (Except filtering down.)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...