Getting Data In

Filtering events on indexer received from LightForwarder

mburbidg
Explorer

I'm trying to filter some events on an indexer that I'm not interested in. I have a single indexer/search node and three app server nodes that I'm running a SplunkLightForwarder on. The input to each of the SLF is the following (inputs.conf):

[monitor:///home/tomcat1/apache-tomcat-6.0.24/logs]
disabled=false
host=prod_228_1
index=production

There are several different kinds of log files in the logs directory monitored above. I'm trying to filter the following log entries out of localhost_access log files in the above mentioned directory:

10.72.134.3 - - [20/Aug/2010:16:13:55 -0700] "GET /ddp/server/healthCheck " 200 86

I understand that I cannot filter using SLF, so I'm setting up a filter to throw these events away on the indexer node.

In my $(SPLUNK_HOME)/etc/system/locals/props.conf on the indexer node I have the following:

[source::home/tomcat1/apache-tomcat-6.0.24/logs]
TRANSFORMS-null= setnull

In my $(SPLUNK_HOME)/etc/system/locals/transforms.conf on the indexer node I have the following:

[setnull]
REGEX = healthCheck
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

After configuring as described above and restarting, the indexer node is still indexing the healthCheck entries in my log files.

I've checked several questions/answers in this forum and cannot find a resolution to my problem. What am I doing wrong?

0 Karma

jkerai
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I would suggest using a sourcetype in place of source. Since the source will be set to each file under the directory being monitored, the transforms may not match. You can try the following:

On fwd:

[monitor:///home/tomcat1/apache-tomcat-6.0.24/logs]
disabled=false
host=prod_228_1
index=production
sourcetype=apache_logs

On indexer:

[sourcetype::apache_logs]
TRANSFORMS-null=setnull

[setnull]
REGEX = healthCheck
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue
0 Karma

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Just one dumb question -- is the "$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/locals" a typo? The directory is actually "$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local".

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...