Getting Data In

Extract timestamp from two json fields

alec_stan
Observer

I need to extract timestamp from a JSON log where date and time are on two separate fields. Example below: 

{  "Date": 240315, "EMVFallback": false, "FunctionCode": 80, "Time": 154915 }

Date here is equivalent of 2024-March-15 and the time is 15:49:15 pm.

I am struggling to find a way to extract timestamp using props.conf. May you please assist. 

Labels (2)
0 Karma

tscroggins
Influencer

Hi @alec_stan,

You can extract the timestamp using INGEST_EVAL in transforms.conf referenced by a TRANSFORMS setting in props.conf.

If your source type has INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = json, you can reference the Date and Time fields directly in your INGEST_EVAL expression; otherwise, you can use JSON eval functions to extract the Date and Time values from _raw.

### with INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS

# props.conf

[alec_stan_json]
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = json
TRANSFORMS-alec_stan_json_time = alec_stan_json_time

# transforms.conf

[alec_stan_json_time]
INGEST_EVAL = _time:=strptime(tostring(Date).tostring(Time), "%y%m%d%H%M%S")

### without INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS

# props.conf

[alec_stan_json]
TRANSFORMS-alec_stan_json_time = alec_stan_json_time

# transforms.conf

[alec_stan_json_time]
INGEST_EVAL = _time:=strptime(tostring(json_extract(json(_raw), "Date")).tostring(json_extract(json(_raw), "Time")), "%y%m%d%H%M%S")

If the event time zone differs from the receiver time zone, add a time zone string (%Z) or offset (%z) to the eval expression:

[alec_stan_json_time]
INGEST_EVAL = _time:=strptime(tostring(Date).tostring(Time)."EDT", "%y%m%d%H%M%S%Z")

In a typical environment, deploy props.conf to universal forwarders and props.conf and transforms.conf to receivers (heavy forwarders and indexers).

If you haven't already, you should add SHOULD_LINEMERGE, LINE_BREAKER, etc. settings to props.conf to correctly break your input into events. You can also set DATETIME_CONFIG = CURRENT or DATETIME_CONFIG = NONE to help Splunk skip automatic timestamp extraction logic since you'll be extracting the timestamp using INGEST_EVAL.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...