Getting Data In

Changing the index on forwarded data

brianm1002

I have one Splunk indexer that both indexes and forwards the data to a second Splunk indexer. The name of the index is not the same on both indexers. When the data is received by the second indexer, I get the error that it received an event for an unrecognized index.

How can I change the index when it's sent to the second indexer? I've tried adding an index=newindex to the inputs.conf on the second indexer, but it's still trying to use the name of the index from the first indexer.

Brian

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Why not just name the indexes the same? It's not really a good idea to configure Splunk to be able to make this change. Basically, you would need to put:

[splunktcp]
route=has_key:_linebreaker:parsingQueue;absent_key:_utf8:parsingQueue;absent_key:_linebreaker:parsingQueue

into inputs.conf on the second indexer, then send all the received data through a TRANSFORM to set the index key. This can have non-trivial consequences, so I strongly discourage it.

0 Karma

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Note that reparsing already parsed events means that they will be timestamped and possibly merged a second time, with possibly worse results than the first time.

There are also some performance costs with processing all data again even if it is already processed.

0 Karma

brianm1002

The first indexer is managed by a different department and I have no control over it. The second indexer is one that I maintain, and I'm currently using multiple indexes to segregate different sets of data based on disk space and retention requirements.

What are some of the consequences of doing as you suggest?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...