Dashboards & Visualizations

Identify owner of the dashboard being used

mrunals
Path Finder

Short Version

Is there a way to see who the owner is of the dashboard currently opened? This is similar to, but different from, being able to see who the current user is that is looking at a dashboard (| rest splunk_server=local /services/authentication/current-context). The idea would be to hide that query into the dashboard in order to manipulate the data results.

Note: I know there are rest calls to see all of knowledge objects and owners; I'm specifically interested in the currently active dashboard.

Use Case

If you had a dashboard that displayed data based on who is actively looking at it you could leverage the rest query I pasted above. The end result might be something like this >link<; likely a number of ways to achieve similar ends. However, this requires the user logging into Splunk. What if you wanted to email a PDF copy of a dashboard to a user/user group but have the results customized based on the recipient?

In the end you will likely need to create a dashboard instance for each destination group but how do you minimize the manual work of individual customizations? Further, unlike viewing saved searches as the user (vs owner), the pdf/report delivery engine will not recognize the user; it will only use the owner of the dashboard. 

My thought is if you use macros for the vast majority of your searches you can at least minimize the number of places you need to make changes as the need arises. The next pieces is what about when you create that copy of the dashboard you changed the owner to the recipient. If you could replace that hidden search that would otherwise look at who the user is and pass tokenized arguments as variables to display data could you do the same thing if that hidden search would instead look at who owns the current copy of the dashboard? 

Anyone else gone down this route - either to identify the current dashboard owner or in support of the ultimate use case?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

Here is a good start for a rest call:

|rest splunk_server=local servicesNS/-/-/data/ui/views f=eai:* f=label f=title

the field eai:acl.owner will give you the owner of a dashboard. 

REST Splunk Doc 

I'm not sure that I 100% understand your use case, though. You have a dashboard (or dashboards) that you want to send a PDF of to a dynamic list of users, and the results of the dashboard should change based on the recipient? Or did I completely miss the use case

0 Karma

mrunals
Path Finder

Ultimately the use case is the data in the dashboard should be tailored to whom the emailed PDF is being delivered to. Because of the nature of how Splunk works I'm proposing making a copy of a master dashboard and changing the owner to who is going to receive it in order to dynamically adjust the data that is presented (ironically enough). 

And yes that rest call will show all dashboard and their owners. What I'm trying to figure out is a rest call (or other internal-to-Splunk method) of identifying the specific dashboard being called/used/emailed and that dashboard's owner as the dashboard is being opened by the PDF engine to actually run the dashboard's queries. The challenge is the native GUI, or otherwise, methods don't support that use case.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...