All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk DB Connect: Connecting to a Vertica Database and Utilizing an Identity

neilgalloway
Observer

Hi,

I'm connecting to a Vertica database.  The latest JDBC driver has been installed and connecting to an older Vertica instance.

I set up an Identity with the username and password, but when I tried to create a Connection, it fails with a authentication warning.  

My solution for now was to edit the JDBC URL manually via the interface and add in the user and password parameters as shown below.

e.g.  jdbc:vertica://my.host.name:5433/databasename?user=myusername&password=mypassword

The connection now works and proves out that the JDBC driver and credentials are working.

This isn't a proper solution though as anyone with administration privileges in DB Connect is able to see the username and password if they edited that connection.

Any ideas on how to make a Vertica JDBC connection utilize the Identity set up?

The jdbcUrlFormat in the configuration is: jdbc:vertica://<host>:<port>/<database>

I was wondering if one solution is a way to reference the Identity here.

e.g.  jdbc:vertica://my.host.name:5433/databasename?user=<IdentityUserName>&password=<IdentityPassword>

I have tried similar things and that doesn't work either.

Labels (2)
0 Karma

neilgalloway
Observer

Hi @KendallW ,

The error is "Invalid username or password.  However, I am able to connect using other applications to the same database with that username and password in the Identity and that is what I am using in the jdbc url to access.

neilgalloway_0-1713309347342.png

0 Karma

neilgalloway
Observer

Hi @KendallW ,

I reread you post and realized I didn't answer the Identity question.  I do not get an error when saving the identity.

0 Karma

KendallW
Path Finder

Hi @neilgalloway does it give any error when you save the identity?
Would you please share a screenshot of the error you are receiving when trying to save the connection using that identity?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...