All Apps and Add-ons

How to use Timewrap to create comparative graph or line charts showing transaction totals?

apalen
Path Finder

Hey Splunkers,

Last week i asked http://answers.splunk.com/answers/142779/creating-comparative-graphs
I was referred to use timewrap. now that i have this setup, i am struggling with getting the results to show. below is my current search i am using, i posted some return results further below. The problem is this isn't producing visuals in splunk. I am unsure why that is now, my goal here is:

"I want to create a graph or line chart that will show transaction total on a day vs day, week vs week, month vs month, quarter vs quarter."

This particular search i am trying to compare the same hour of each day over the last week.

index=pfe_os_messages sourcetype="log4j" getSettle* earliest =-7@d date_hour=9| rex "getSettle(?:Now|ment)Total.+?(?\d+)" | search settlement="*" | eval settlement = "$" . (settlement / 100) | timechart count span=1h |timewrap w | where strftime(_time, "%H") == "9"

Event returns:

2014-07-01 09:45:36,884 INFO [ aaa-AMON0m4y-6LZEjYBu ENC12195954] invoice.AcquireInvoice (AcquireInvoice.foo) - getSettlementTotal(): 0

2014-07-01 09:45:36,883 INFO [foo aaa-AMON0m4y-6LZEjYBu ENC12195954] invoice.AcquireInvoice (AcquireInvoice.foo) - getSettleNowTotal(): 3200

2014-07-01 09:45:32,729 INFO [foo aaa-AMON0m4y-6LZEjYBu ENC12195954] invoice.AcquireInvoice (AcquireInvoice.foo) - getSettleNowTotal(): 3200

2014-07-01 09:45:32,688 INFO [foo aaa-AMON0m4y-6LZEjYBu ENC12195954] invoice.AcquireInvoice (AcquireInvoice.foo) - getSettleNowTotal(): 3200

0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Don't you want ... | timechart sum(settlement) span=1h | ... ?

I think you should take it a step at a time. Get yourself hourly sums over the past week or 8 days first. This may be:

index=pfe_os_messages sourcetype="log4j" getSettle* | 
rex "getSettle(?:Now|ment)Total.+?(?d+)" | 
search settlement="*" | 
timechart sum(settlement) span=1h

Then once you have that right the ... | timewrap w | ... should work fine. Don't worry about the formatting until you get that working, because you can always use something like ...| fieldformat settlement="$" + tostring(settlement, "commas") ... to reformat the output afterwards.

So, untested and will probably will cause errors (but only minor ones - it shouldn't cause errors involving dogs and cats living together!), but ...

index=pfe_os_messages sourcetype="log4j" getSettle* | 
rex "getSettle(?:Now|ment)Total.+?(?d+)" | 
search settlement="*" | 
timechart sum(settlement) span=1h |
timewrap w |
where strftime(_time, "%A") == "Thursday" |
fieldformat settlement="$" + tostring(settlement, "commas")

Your mileages may vary, but maybe this will get you pointed in the right direction.

0 Karma

apalen
Path Finder

I still havent quite figured it out but i can get and hourly comparison on a week vs week now.

query:
index=pfe_os_messages sourcetype="log4j" getSettle* | rex "getSettle(?:Now|ment)Total.+?(?\d+)" | search settlement="*" | eval settlement = "$" . (settlement / 100)| timechart count span=1h
| timewrap w
| where strftime(_time, "%A") == "Thursday"

0 Karma

HattrickNZ
Motivator

in your original search should you not change this earliest =-7@d to earliest =-7d@d

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...