All Apps and Add-ons

Can VMware and DataOntap share the same DCN

hartfoml
Motivator

I am in a relatively small environment with 7 hosts and 165 clients

I would like to run the DCN with both the VMware and DataOntap TA's and SA's.

Is this bad?

0 Karma
1 Solution

halr9000
Motivator

No, according to this page about coexistence between NetApp and VMware apps. The order of installation and versions you are installing are important for the scheduler components to coexist on the same search head. But it explains further that the DCNs can't be shared.

View solution in original post

hartfoml
Motivator

on page 25 from the doc "Splunk App for NetApp Data ONTAP 2.0.2 - Deploy and Use the Splunk App for NetApp Data
ONTAP"

NetApp Document

it stats that
Data collection nodes can not be shared between apps for data collection. Data collection nodes collect data from either vCenter servers or NetApp filers

Anyone know why this is true?

0 Karma

halr9000
Motivator

I can't speak for the team, but this is probably one of those "to ship is to choose" things. If you like, you can open a support case to make a feature request that this current state be changed.

0 Karma

halr9000
Motivator

No, according to this page about coexistence between NetApp and VMware apps. The order of installation and versions you are installing are important for the scheduler components to coexist on the same search head. But it explains further that the DCNs can't be shared.

Masa
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'm not sure how "old" version you'r talking about. But, since VMware app and NetApp ontap app started to use Hydra framework ( SA-Hydra and SA-Utils ). Single DCN for those two apps was never certified and recommend. However, technically it is possible. Dev/QA team never certified the architecture of using two apps in single DCN. So, potentially this architecture may introduce missing data due to handling jobs by limited resources or unknown bugs. If anything unexpected happens, please follow our certified architecture.

Therefore,
1. For test and dev. environment only for checking data flow without concern of missing data, this is technically possible.
2. If you're concerned about unexpected missing data or resource conflicts, or filing Support case for help, please follow our certified architecture.
3. If you're looking for single DCN for both NetApp and VMware app as supported architecture, please file an Enhancement Request.

hartfoml
Motivator

Masa this is the Answer I was looking for. thanks for the information It was very helpfull

0 Karma

hartfoml
Motivator

Thanks @hair9000 i appreciate your comment. I was looking for a liitl bit more of why they could not share the DCN. I did see in the doc's for NetApp where is pointed out they could not but this is a new condition and was not the case in older versions of NetApp and VMware. I wonder what changed to cause this separation of Data Collection Nodes?

0 Karma

halr9000
Motivator

I wasn't aware that this ever worked, but I am not an expert in the deployment specifics of these apps (but I do know VMware & NetApp tech fairly well).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...