Alerting

Include 'Missing Events' In Search Results

paddy3883
Path Finder

I've a CSV file which contains two values per row, 'Filter' and 'Timing'. Essentially the Filter will specify a value to search across a series of events either a field value or text in message etc. The Timing value is used in another query. What I'm after is a search query that executes this lookup file against the events and returns a count of matches for each, and more importantly, returns those for which no events where found. My current query (which does not return those with no events) is:

| inputlookup my_lookup
| eval Filter=$Filter$ | map [search source=MySource $Filter$] | stats count by EventName

So for a CSV like this:

Filter,Timing

Text found in Event A messages, 100

Text found in Event B messages, 400

Text found in Event C messages, 300

which returns something like:

EventName | Count

EventA | 250

EventB | 175

when there are matches for the first two rows but none for the second. Ideally what I'd like is:

EventName | Filter | Count

EventA | Text found in Event A messages | 250

EventB | Text found in Event B messages | 175

| Text found in Event C messages | 0

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

try a combination of fillnull
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.1/SearchReference/Fillnull

| fillnull value="missing"

and an outer join instead of the lookup
see http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.1/SearchReference/Join

searchA | join type=outer Eventname [search searchB]

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...